Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Site Collection created half-way - Orphan

I tried for weeks to delete a site collection that has somehow got created halfway.

When I go to Central Administration - Application Management - Delete Site collection and click on the site I want to delete I see blank data in the right hand side and when I select it the delete button is greyed out. When trying to delete from stsadm I get the error:

Cannot complete this action.

Please try again.

I tried to delete it with stsadm -o deletsite -force but still same error.
Someone recommended deleting the content db. So what I did was

Created a new content db.
Backed up all Site Collection within the Content DB.
Deleted all Site Collections using that Content DB.
Made the original Content DB offline.
Restored all Site collections back and they automatically get created in the New Content DB.

Then removed the original content db and the half-way created site collection is gone.
No more bogus site collections.

You should also be able to just remove the content db and add it back but I felt I needed to back them up to be safe. I only had a few. If you have hundreds you may have to do it that way.

Go to Content DB where orphan site collection is and make note of all settings. Select remove content db and then go to stsadm and do an addcontentdb with the same exact name. Your site collections will reappear without the orphaned one.

No comments: