Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Delete Orphan App Pools

When I browse to Central Administration -> Operations -> Service Accounts -> Choose Web application pool -> Choose Windows SharePoint Services Web Application. In the list of Application Pools you will see any application pool ever created. Even if they were deleted. I found this post to help me delete them.

I found the ID by using Codeplex free tool SharePoint Manager. Here you will see all app pools as well. I wasn't sure if I could delete from here or not so to be safe I used the command below.
stsadm.exe -o deleteconfigurationobject -id


http://blogs.technet.com/nishants/archive/2008/10/10/how-to-delete-orphan-configuration-objects-from-sharepoint-farm.aspx

You actually can just delete from SharePoint Manager.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy -

Just as an FYI, deleting an item through this command is UNSUPPORTED and will put you into an unsupported state....