Friday, July 11, 2008

Microsoft Forefront For Sharepoint

I just finished configuring Forefront for Sharepoint.

This is a very useful users guide:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/A/1/AA13E922-FFA3-4EB1-BA3D-D177AB058746/SP_Users_Guide.doc

My next step is to test out the Management Console. We have 6 WFE's in our prd farm so it would make life easier to make configuration changes in 1 place. So far we are only using virus protection. Looking forward to using the file filters.

One thing I like about forefront is it catches files that are excluded by Sharepoint. It will actually look at the header of the file. So a user can't change a .mov extention to a .txt file and upload it to their mysite.

I have done a little testing on this and it works perfectly. I do not like the fact that if a file gets captured it displays a message as if the file has a virus. I do remember at Tech-Ed 08 someone stated in a session that this will be addressed in the next version. Due to this we are not using the file filter option because we don't want users to get confused.

No comments: